Why “Secondhand” Jewelry Doesn’t Skimp on Style!
So, you forgot another anniversary, huh? Or birthday? Christmas? It happens to the best of us. Maybe you need to make it up to her, or you just want to treat yourself to some fancy bling.
Either way, GEM Pawnbrokers has exactly what you’re looking for! Our staff is GIA (Gemological Institute of America) and JA (Jewelers of America) certified, so you know the jewels you pick out are authentic and priced fairly.
So, Why Should You Shop Secondhand Jewelry?
Here are 9 great reasons:
- Pawn shop jewelry doesn’t mean poor quality – it means a bargain for you that won’t set you back a paycheck or two. If it’s at a GEM Pawnbrokers pawn shop, it’s good quality! That means it was worth reselling!
- Excellent quality as appraised by certified staff, at a fair price – oh, the money you could be saving! Certification ensures that the piece is what it’s being sold as, whether that’s gold, silver, diamonds, or pearls. And that the quality is there – you don’t have to know how to grade a diamond, it’s already done for you!
- Shopping for jewelry at a pawn shop also gives you the flexibility to change up your wardrobe without paying full price. You can easily follow the trends or try out a new (or retro!) look, and when you’re don e, just sell it back! We guarantee 50% of the purchase price if you ever need a loan on jewelry purchased from GEM (some exclusions may apply). Pawn shops are filled with eclectic, rare, unique pieces that you can’t find anywhere else. They’re literal goldmines!
- After a professional cleaning, used jewelry looks brand new! Pieces made of platinum may have a patina (that’s a good thing), but other pieces can be cleaned up.
- Secondhand doesn’t always mean “old” or old-fashioned – many pieces available at pawn shops are recent, and may be the same as what you’d find at a fine jewelry store. You will want to note if the piece states an age, or says “secondhand,” “estate,” “vintage,” or “antique.” Don’t be afraid to ask questions. You’ll be more educated for future pawn shop trips!
- Purchasing vintage and secondhand jewelry means you can pick up discontinued items, at a fraction of the original cost. Many designers only keep styles around for a limited time, so if you missed your chance, you may find it at a pawn shop! You may find some of your favorite pieces at a pawn shop!
- Vintage jewelry also often has a craftsmanship unheard of today, so older pieces have a historical value to them that you just can’t get in a retail chain’s line. Mine-cut diamonds, various techniques, and certain materials aren’t available anymore, so you might really be getting one-of-a-kind pieces. These older pieces may actually increase in value over the years, making it a real investment! And think of all the cool adventures that piece went on before you owned it!
- Sustainable and eco-friendly fashion is a huge trend right now, so by buying used, you’re helping out the planet. No extra pollution or waste or carbon footprint. What a win!
- Don’t judge a piece of jewelry based on it being in a pawn shop. There are many reasons why it may have ended up there, and most likely it has nothing to do with the quality or value of the piece itself. It hasn’t lost any magic or inherent value – try to go in with an open mind and see what gems you find.
What Kinds of Pieces are Found in Pawn Shop Jewelry?
What comes to mind when you think of pawn jewelry? Maybe something cheap and fake, or seriously outdated. Not at GEM Pawnbrokers! We have designer brands (yes, you’ve heard of them) like:
- Tiffany & Co.
- David Yurman
- Luca Carati
- Judith Ripka
- Vera Wang
- And so many more…
Not only does GEM Pawnbrokers offer world-renowned designer brands, our selection of vintage jewelry and engagement rings is incredible. We have both vintage (over 20 years old) and antique (over 100 years old) pieces in a wide range of prices and styles. Plus, we’re the largest diamond buyer in New York! So, we know our stuff.
How Much Money Am I Saving Buying Jewelry at a Pawn Shop?
Big retailers (like those you see at the mall) want you to believe you’re getting a deal. But are you? NO! Most companies mark their jewelry up almost twice the value. You end up paying for their CEO’s salary, and not what the piece is actually worth.
Big name jewelers know that the public usually isn’t well-informed enough about jewelry to negotiate or ask questions – they’re banking on it. They hope you don’t know what you’re actually paying for, otherwise you’d go somewhere else.
How Do I Save Money Buying Jewelry?
For one, don’t go to the mall!
For two, shop at your nearest pawn shops!
Sticking with reputable pawnbrokers like GEM Pawnbrokers guarantees that the diamonds you buy are authentic, quality, and affordable. The certified staff appraises each piece, without the overhead of big retailers.
Jewelry, also, often doesn’t lose its value over the years. Your TV? Depreciates. Your car? It loses value. Your designer clothing? It definitely goes out of style over the years. These things wear down and lose value.
But gold and diamonds? They’re a girl’s best friend, now and forever. So, the piece you buy today still has the value it had when it was originally purchased. And that means you can resell it later for practically what you paid initially.
And let’s not forget trading – by bringing your pieces in to be appraised and sold, you give yourself the budget to grab another stunning piece. That’s a smart way to shop.
So, What About Selling Jewelry to a Pawn Shop?
If you’re thinking about pawning your jewelry, here are some things to know.
- Selling your jewelry to a certified pawnshop like GEM Pawnbrokers is much easier than selling it yourself. Don’t waste your time online trying to find buyers; just go to the pawn shop. Save yourself the headache of using websites and meetups, and risking personal safety by selling to a stranger. A pawnbroker can handle all that for you.
- Selling to a pawn shop gets you cash-in-hand today, rather than waiting to find a buyer and THEN getting paid! There’s no downtime here – get in and get out quickly.
- Certified pawn shops like GEM Pawnbrokers know exactly what you bring in is worth, you get a fair selling price – don’t get ripped off. Your jewelry has value, so make sure you speak with someone who can appraise it properly and payout what it’s worth.
I Want to Buy from a Pawn Shop – What’s Next?
Well, go to a pawn shop, then! A quick Google search of “jewelry pawn shop near me” will bring up a whole list of pawnbrokers just waiting to show you their jewelry stock! Be sure to visit a reputable broker like GEM Pawnbrokers to ensure you’re getting a great deal! Drop by any of GEM Pawnbroker’s New York locations to see the pieces in person or check us out on eBay to shop right now!